Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Boiler Room: Creepily Beautiful

The Boiler Room is a coffee shop nestled in between two stores in the middle of Port Townsend. On our first real day of getting to know each other here, we went on a scavenger hunt around town and one of the things we had to find was the Boiler Room. One of us students was supposed to strike up a conversation with anyone in the coffee shop. Originally, I was the one who was supposed to go in and ask someone a question, but when I walked in, I was so disturbed at the weirdness of humanity gathered there that I asked another friend in our group to start the conversation.  Later, during worship that night on campus I had an amazing encounter with the Lord and I felt like He was calling me to go back to the Boiler Room and speak truth into that place. 
           Let me back up a little bit. The Boiler Room is also known as a place where they try to get kids off the streets of Port Townsend. I walked in and there was a twenty something young man just lying on the couch and playing guitar while another guy was playing some type of card game with someone else. They have open karoke night as well as some other things to try and engage with the youth that need help there. Some Friday when we go back into town and do outreach again into town, I am praying that I won't be so scared to talk to the youth there that are so desperate for the real truth. 
     I call this post the Boiling Room, Creepily Beautiful because I believe that despite the creepiness of that coffee shop with the troubled youth, God has a plan to make that place into something beautiful. I dare you to find a place where you are right now that might not be entirely like the Boiler Room, but a place where you feel maybe even uncomfortable to speak truth into those peoples lives. I encourage you reader, to know that you have been brought to wherever you are for such a time as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment