Saturday, March 14, 2015

Unspeakable Joy

I'm thinking about Kolkata a lot more than I ever thought I would. I'll never forget having to spend 20-30 minutes on the phone ordering wraps, because the only restaurant we all loved we were either tired of going to over and over again or it was closed, or the pollution and dust that could make you cough at any given moment also made it difficult to breathe. I talked to a lot of people before leaving, about how excited I was to get to work in the slums in Kolkata, like Mother Teresa. The reason why I bring up the conditions we were living under, is to try to make you understand the joy God gave me to help cope through what could have stirred up frustrations with the things we so often take for granted, like where we get our meals from, or even just breathing fresh air! One time, I was having a really hard day, for those of you who have talked to me already, you may know that most of the time, I was in India I was sick. I had a consistent cold and the pollution wasn't helping. On this day, that I was struggling, with anything from a runny nose to a cough or exhaustion, we had to wait up to an hour for our contact to show up because he got stuck in traffic. While we waited we all got some chai and sat in front of our favorite restaurant that was closed, trying to decide what to do. What if our contact didn't show up? Did we go into our restaurant for lunch and try to do ministry with our waiters, or go back to our base and prayer walk? Another half hour or so went by and as we finished our chai a short Indian man riding a motorcycle, drove right up to us! Introducing himself as our contact, he helped us all get into different taxi's and we followed him to a slum school, where we would be helping kids with their school work. By then, I was still frustrated with my physical conditions, but endured the taxi ride. What I was about to encounter was the joy of the Lord as my strength. I stepped out of the taxi with two friends, by the way our taxi drive almost got us lost on the way there, but knowing by now, God really wanted us at this slum school, we headed in as the last 3 to show up. I will never get how tiny this school was, the different ages, differences in learning skills and the big smiles that greeted us as we walked in. Guess what we got to do? Teach English! Something I had done for two weeks in Thailand, last February, not my favorite ministry tool, but by now I've gotten over that, knowing God has me in different countries for big reasons like teaching English. As we sat down and partnered up with a student, I immediately felt a connection with an older girl in her mid teens, clearly feeling out of place with all these small children, who were just learning the alphabet. What can I teach her? I thought, as we looked each other in the eye, I smiled introduced myself and getting out her pencil and paper, I decided that we weren't going to be learning from the school books today. Today, I would teach her how to sing about joy. Most of you should be familiar with the song, "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart, where? Down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart to stay!" It was chaos in the classroom, but my favorite kind of chaos. The giggles, singing and everyone grabbing at once for the erasers to erase their mistakes and try again. Meanwhile, I was over in the corner, with my new friend, literally, writing out the love of Jesus down in her heart. I didn't know if she was a Christian or not, but because she clearly knew the lesson plans that the rest of the kids were doing, I was up for the challenge of teaching her something new. 

What really got to me was at the end when she had learned the song and the slum children wanted to sing for us in Hindi. Then we sang for them in English. After they were done singing in Hindi as well as singing one song in English, we sang in English, "I've got the joy, joy, joy...." seeing her know the song as we all proclaimed it in the slum school, I felt the strength of the Lord rising in my bones to smile and look her in the eye knowing the barriers I had got to break today. This is the joy of the Lord I am talking about. The unspeakable joy that isn't always super giddy and excited all the time, this is the joy that keeps us going despite our physical condition or where God may decide to plant us for three weeks, that rock our worlds beyond our wildest comprehensions. I walked out of that slum school a different person. Forgetting about the runny nose, cough, lack of sleep and my own hunger, I embraced the girl who I got to sing with and walked away with my rest of the team, back to the taxi's, ready for whatever wild ride God wanted to take on next.

No comments:

Post a Comment