Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Wanderer

"And what I wanted to do was go on and on, across the sea, alone with the water and the birds, but some said I was too young and the sea was a dangerous temptress........ 

The sea, the sea, the sea, it rolled and rolled and called to me. Come in, it said, come in. And in I went, floating, rolling, splashing and swimming, and the sea called, Come out, come out, and further I went but always it swept me back to shore. And still the sea called, Come out, come out, and in boats I went - in rowboats and dinghies and motorboats, and after I learned to sail, I flew over the water, with only the sounds of the wind and the water and the birds, all of them calling, Sail on, sail on."
-The Wanderer, Sharon Creech 

I'm trying not to force my words or add unnecessary explanations. This post is simply about my need to wander. Like the name of the boat in my favorite book, I also long to sail and be free although some may say its dangerous and I'm too young, still I will go. Still I will sail, I will fly in whatever way I can to wander, but not just to wander to learn how to spread my wings. This is what I must do in a little over a week. So, here we go. Its a new school year already, and where we let ourselves spread our wings to freely wander in the midst of the daily schedules with tasks to complete and deadlines to meet. I'm giving myself permission to wander this year as I pray you do too! Here's to wandering, spreading our wings and sailing in whatever way we can even if the water's frozen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment